Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Democracy Is Not For You

Just before the 2006 midterms, right wing talk radio host Sean Hannity said the following:
HANNITY: Now, one other thing here. You know what? I think some of you need to stay home on Election Day. What? That's right. I think -- I know it sounds terrible. I don't want everybody to vote; I want well-informed people to vote.
It does sound terrible, Sean, so who should skip the election?
...and I want you to stay home on Election Day because you must accept the fact that your party has abandoned you. You've gotta accept the fact that your vote doesn't matter anyway. So all you Democrats, stay home. So, you know, why don't you stay home on Election Day? [Fuzzy's emphasis]
Oh ye little faith. Conservatives these days couldn't give two shits about democracy. Neither here nor abroad. Thanks for the advice Sean. Somehow I'm guessing it didn't quite work out how you might have liked.

On a more serious note, isn't this sort of rhetoric actually dangerous for democracy in our country? This guy has one of the most popular radio shows in the country, and here he is asking registered Democrats and swing-voting independents to stay at home come election day. Apparently, for Sean the "throw your purple fingers in the air" doesn't apply here at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home