Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Priorities

Dear Readers (there are so many of you),

My apologies for the lack of flavorful posts, but I just moved, and oddly enough, I now actually live in a town called Middletown. Sweet. Hopefully I'll have a more steady stream of Poo to fling your way as I get settled in.

I watched Press The Meat last Sunday, and something Sen. Joe Biden (D-MBNA) said actually got me thinking. Imagine that. When Pumpkinhead Tim Russert asked Joe about the uproar that was created when the Dept. of Homeland Security was planning on cutting funds to the two cities that were actually attacked on September, 11th, Joe responded by calling the amount of money we spend on defending ourselves against terrorism a joke. That's a view I happen to agree with, but what Joe failed to mention has now become the proverbial elephant in the room: Iraq.

If you look at the numbers, we're talking about $711 million for terrorism prevention for the entire U.S. for one year. According to the Congressional Budget Office, we're spending $9 billion dollars for the Iraq War per month. So, we're spending less than a billion a year to prevent against terrorist attacks here in the U.S., and over nine times that per month to create more terrorists overseas. This isn't a joke. These kinds of reckless policies will come back to haunt us for years to come. Except they're not reckless, they're insane.

Now for the fun part. Years from now, when blame for these policies is rightfully laid at the front step of a certain ranch in Crawford, TX., and at the feet of a former Congress that was completely controlled by Republicans, we Liberals, and the media for that matter, will be told it was all our fault.

I've heard the Chowderheads on TV talking about Bush's legacy, and the above is just a tiny sliver. He's already lost the Iraq War, and he's already let us know he intends to let the next president clean up his mess. Now watch me hit this drive...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home